Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Middle of nowhere, Elton John

Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Joey has caught my cold & it’s REALLY worse for him. We were unable to meet up with our Alamos friends , Jayne & Mike, in Phoenix , as planned. We do not wish to spread our germs to them. We spoke with them several times by phone.

We have no idea how many miles we’ll be able to cover today…it depends on how Joey feels. I offered to drive but he keeps saying, “Not yet.” ….then it never happens. He hates being navigator & I love it so it works out well….usually. I say usually because I made about a 50 mile out-of-our-way blunder today.

The plan was to get past Phoenix , at least, in our route to Vegas. Phoenix to Vegas is about 290 Miles….way more than we currently feeling like doing.

From I-10 W out of Phoenix we took AZ 101 N to 60 W/NW. 60 & 93 run together for many miles & then split @ Wickenburg, AZ. We were supposed to take 93 when they split but we continued on 60….WRONG!
When I realized it we needed to make a big triangle route to get back to 93. Oh well, we got to see some more AZ desert.

Notes for hwy 60/93
nw of Phoenix. There’s a whole new area build up with not only Walmart, Golden Corral and anything else one might need. There were quite a few traffic signals for several miles but that was no problem for us.

Notes for hwy 93 FABULOUS road
….way better than some of the freeways. Wide, smoothe & no traffic. We will take this road again whenever possible.

I checked the Passport America book to see if there were any of their RV parks on 93 & Voila!...ah yes in funny named Wikieup, AZ., Truly in the middle of nowhere we camped @ Dazzo's Restaurant & RV Park. All of $10 plus tax. Great Wi FI and when we went inside the restaurant to pay for our site there was a signed photo of Elton John on the wall. I asked, half jokingly, if Elton had been there. YES, he ate there exactly one year ago yesterday.

It was just after dark when we arrived; tired & weak from our damn colds. You can imagine how much fun it was when we needed to back-in to our site. I think this was the first back-in site for the whole 2 months! It took us several miscommunicated trys. I'm the director & he's the driver and both of us were badly in need of practicing our parts.

I always like to watch others go through this stressful learning process & wondered who was peaking at us now.

We surely must practice more before we get back to our busy Hollywood street & need to back uphill between house & fence.

Here I am typing at midnight. Nuts!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, This is the 3rd try for a comment
    Ginny
    Hope Joey is feeling better. Did U Receive my earlier comments. We are still in San Felipe.
    It's Great!
    Ginny and Peter

    ReplyDelete