Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Amazing Women of Alamos

Saturday Mar 20, 2010
Today at the Museo on the main plaza there was a showing of the many products a small group of women from Alamos have made.

All of the products are items made from recycled plastic bags. Yup, those awful bags that we cannot seem to live without but are a blight to every city & countryside. What they have done is to find a way to crochet them into hats, purses, placemats, flowers even rugs.

I bought a hat & 3 bags.
It's not so easy taking a photo of yourself in a mirror. Oh, well, you get the idea.

They served wine & snacks to what seemed the whole population of Gringos here. The hat I bought was about $20 & the bags were $14 & $15. In one way it seems a bit high for plastic bags but they are actually very pretty and the work they put into it in a 3 week period is pretty incredible. They did very nice work & I’m happy to support them in my small way. Yeah, Joey needed to twist my arm!

Here’s one that got away but I’m happy that my friend Emily got it. It looks way better on her anyway.


Here’s another friend, Joan, that let it get away too.

This is a photo of two others….I was considering buying the blue & white one but decided I’d already spent enough.
Oh, I forgot to mention St Patrick’s Day Irish Stew Dinner at Casa de Maria Felix. We all wore our green & drank green beer. There was Irish Music piped in & there was a nice crowd.

When I saw Deb there without Dewey I asked where he was. She told me he’d gone fishing & had been due home at 2pm so he could partake in the Irish night celebration. It was now 7pm & we were all worried. To make a long story short; The police were called & eventually they got home about 10pm. While they were out fishing all four tires on their car had been slashed. Dewey walked 3 miles to a little town where the police or someone drove him back to the car. They took the tires to Navojoa for a fix & then back again. WHEW, it was a long day but at least they were home safely with a tale to tell.

One more thing, Deb makes beaded jewelry & had a showing. I bought this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment