Friday, July 27, 2012

Still in Kansas; Coffeyville , Aviation Museum & Dalton Gang Museum


JUL 27 FRIDAY Only drove 154 miles
Coffeyville KS: route #166 ,
Aviation Museum
Dalton Gang Museum (this one will be in the next blog)
Oswego, KS camped Hillside Rv park PA cash $14 

 What I've enjoyed immensely on this Mid-West part of the trip  is the truly personal attention of every place we've chosen to visit.

We learned that so many of the people working in the museums or tourist offices are volunteers.
I've had to make some phone calls to verify some hours of operation & ask questions about RV parking etc & found out that the phone numbers listed online or in brochures are  personal home & cell phone numbers of those that would be able to answer my questions.

Back In Caldwell, KS when I called the phone number I'd found for the Tourist  Information Office a very old sounding man answered the phone "Hello" & when he finally realized I wanted the Tourist office he said…"Oh, yes, yes. Let me give you the cell phone for my daughter, Karyn. She can help you."

When I called Karyn's cell # a little girl answered. I thought I'd dialed incorrectly but when I said I was looking for Karyn she told me to hang on & she handed  the phone to her mom.
But wait, there's more! I was asking when the museum was going to be open & she said she'd meet me there & open it for us & show us around! I didn’t know when we would be there & told her I'd call her back if we were going to go.
We never did  get back to her. C'est dommage!

NOW ON TO COFFEYVILLE, KANSAS'
Aviation heritage Museum.  PASTE PHOTO around here

Well, the same type of thing happened with the Aviation Museum.

When I dialed the listed number for the museum another old sounding voice answered the phone. 
He had a bit of trouble hearing me.
He told me his name was Roskey (don't ya jusst love it?) and that if we told him what time we would be there he would meet us or to just call him when we knew.


We made the arrangement and Rosky was there waiting for us at the hanger.

Rosky is a wonderful old retired war veteran that opened the hanger just for us.
We were the only people there. Another private, personalized tour!

Before I go on I think I've forgotten to mention that for the last 8 days the temperatures have been over 100 degrees.  It was 104 for 4 days in a row……THIS was one of them!

Back to the hanger. It was like a sauna inside. We were there about 1 hr and I really couldn't handle more sweating …..I mean SWEATING…no kidding!
I was unable to keep my glasses on my face….slippin , sliden & foggin etc!!!

We didn't wish to be rude & cut our personal tour short with Rosky. He was being so generous. Besides, he loved telling his stories too & we loved hearing them.
Hopefully, he was just as anxious to get out of that hot building as we were.

Anyway, here are some of the things inside the hanger that we enjoyed.


AND:  
Isn't THIS a true beauty?


Hopefully this video will work too.
Roskey was so proud of showing us how good this old fire engine could do it's thing.

Well, there's enough on this entry & I need some sleep.
I'll continue with the last two cool things in KANSAS in the next blog THEN Niagara Falls....CAN HARDLY WAIT for that one! I haven't looked at the photos since the day after we took them.


No comments:

Post a Comment