Saturday, September 1, 2012

Ferry From P.E.I. to Nova Scotia

Oh Oh Ohhhhh, as I type I'm seeing a rainbow out  of the dinette window. 
Maybe that's a good omen? ……for the scary ferry to Cape Breton Island, NS http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/cape-breton-island 
This link is a fabulous site to explore. I learned a lot from it.
(NOTE TO MYSELF: re visit this link & spend some time exploring)
But….BIG WIND GUSTS swaying the trailer big time & we're not even on the road yet. 
Here we GOOOOOOO.
Only 12 km to the ferry.
We decided to take the Ferry to Nova Scotia instead of the bridge because it gave us a mileage advantage to our next planned adventure.
The bridge would have cost us about $46 cn$ & the ferry was $94 cn$ but we felt it was worth the extra $50 not only for our first ferry experience ever with the trailer but got us miles closer to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia which was to be the first area we were going to spend time exploring in N.S.
Besides we'd already gone over that 8 mile bridge getting TO Prince Edward Island & felt we needed the ferry experience! 

Note: the sign above for the $66 rate is without a trailer
Nice that they had Wi Fi while we waited for the ferry BUT our timing was such that we were never able to take advantage of this nice feature because we were able to just drive right aboard! We never even had a reservation. Often when towing a trailer one does need to reserve in advance but our last minute decision worked out for us.

We were so lucky to arrive at the pay booth about 5 minutes before 1pm & the ferry was to leave AT 1pm.
We paid our $94 CN using our credit card and drove right on. 
It wasn't even close to being full.

They had an elevator to take us to the 2 upper levels from the parking in the bottom of the ship. .That was great & saved my knees for bigger & better things

On board they had an information center which was great. This guy answered all of my questions. I always have lots of questions!

We bought a small meal to share. 3 pieces of flat, fried chicken pieces that came with fries & a coffee & a small cole slaw for $8.50. 
Just fine when you're hungry but left us wanting for something "good".

I didn't get seasick with the wind-agitated waters even though I was feeling the motion.  As I ate I thought it might have been a bad idea to eat anything at all….....…but we were hungry…hey! 
We didn't stay seated very long because we heard music outside & went out to see what it was all about. It turns out that only two trips daily offer the live music. We felt very fortunate to have caught THIS ferry.
In walking outside to checkout the music,
Joey saw this handsome fellow.
 Doesn't he look lovely? The bearded fellow above...and hummm..the two below look quite nice too, don't they?
I DO have a short video of them which I'll try to post at the end of this post. Not sure how to fit it in here now that I messed up the order of things.
WELL, it looks as if I DID get it in where I wanted it! Maybe I'm getting the hang of this!
Sounds very Scottish doesn't it? It IS Scottish!

There are about 10 departures daily in July- September & only the 1pm & 2:45pm departures have some live music aboard so we enjoyed that.

Here's TO Ya!
Scary ferry my foot!  It was a snap! 
My weather worries were for naught!  The 75 minutes just flew by!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment